Zapier is a tool that helps you integrate workflows between different apps — no code necessary. When an event happens in one app, Zapier will be triggered to tell another app to perform a particular action, according to the Zap you create. In this tutorial, you will learn how to connect Octoparse to Google Sheets via Zapier, allowing your data to export directly to your selected worksheet without having to manually download and copy it.
Please note that every line of data delivered with this Zap will cost ONE Zapier task!
Take the fast lane using this Octoparse X Google Sheets template:
To create a new Zap click on "Create Zap" on your Zapier account page:
Here are the main steps:
- Set Up trigger
- Setup Action
Step 1. Set Up trigger
Choose Octoparse as the trigger app and select New Data Processed as the Trigger Event. We also recommend that you rename your Zap at this stage in the top left corner.
Select or connect your Octoparse account to Zapier
Select your target Octoparse task by choosing the belonging group in Octoparse or search by Task ID, then select your ideal Task Status (multiple choices are available)
For the last part of the first step, Zapier will ask you to test your trigger. If everything works, then you'll be prompted to move on to the next step of your Zap.
Step 2. Setup Action
Choose Google Sheets as the action app. 2 of the recommended choices for the Action Event are below. You will only have one file by either choice.
- Create Spreadsheet Row - every time Octoparse extracts new data from your target task, Zapier will create new spreadsheet rows in your target Google Sheet
- Update Spreadsheet Row - the chosen file will be replaced every time Octoparse extracts new data from your target task
To use Google Sheets with Zapier you need to set up a spreadsheet in a very specific way. You are likely going to have problems if you don't set up your spreadsheet this way:
- The first row must have titles for any column headers you want to be able to see in your Zap.
- The second row must have content for any columns you want to be able to see in your Zap.
- Zaps can only add rows to the end of the spreadsheet and not to any other row.
- We recommend that all your columns have text in the header and top row, you can run your task locally, export an excel file and copy the header and top row into the Google Sheet. Especially if you are using the Create Spreadsheet Row action, without any text in the header or top row, the Zap will send your data to the top of the sheet rather than adding it to existing rows.
- If you plan on editing your spreadsheet (i.e. deleting existing rows or columns; adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet; resorting to the sheet; renaming/adding/rearranging new columns; renaming your Sheet or worksheets within the Sheet); Turn Off your Zap first!
Choose or connect to a new account to continue
Locate the Google Sheet you created in Set up action, your Zap will then ask you to match your Rows between your target Octoparse data and the Google Sheet you created.
Noticing a “Zapier Create Time” in the drop-down list? This is a pre-defined field by Zapier that needs a new column set up in the Google Sheet if you wish to extract it.
By clicking continue, you will be able to test and review the entire Zap, if the result is to your satisfaction, you are all set to turn on the Zap!